Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Movie Review "Son of God"

 

In anticipation of already knowing the Biblical story and having seen several movies about the life of Christ, I have to say that this movie was creatively and uniquely depicted from the apostle John's point of view. I've read other reviews on this movie and although it was described as a "chunky" and very spliced movie, I feel that the producers, Mark Burnett and Roman Downey highlighted some of my favorite parts of the story.   Another twist in this story that was clearly made known in "entertainment" interviews with the producers, is that this story also includes Mary's point of view, as the mother of Jesus.  This is perhaps where the producers and I vary.  Mary's story isn't as vividly told in scripture as it is in this movie.   I knew that there would be some "creative license" with this movie as soon as I saw the trailer.  During the time that Christ carried the cross, he drops faintly and looks up.  Jesus looks at his mother who has reached to meet him on the ground, "Do not fear, with God all things are possible". As I watched the trailer, I knew that Jesus never said this to Mary. As a matter of fact Jesus actually says much earlier, before he went to the cross, in Matthew 19:26

"Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

The Word says he was speaking to his disciples, not Mary, when he made this statement. As a matter of fact, this statement had nothing to do with Mary. Jesus had just finished a conversation with a rich man who wanted to know how a rich man could get into heaven. 

Am I splitting hairs over this?  Well, I like to see the Word of God presented as we know it, it's in purest form, although while watching the movie, this line was used to emphasize that Jesus drew his physical strength from the power of God, to lift the cross.  Immediately after making this statement, Mary watched Christ lift the cross on his back with a new strength, as though he had been revived. 

It was a good use of a scripture and as a general statement, it made a clear point about faith. However, as I said before, originally, in scripture, Jesus made this statement in a different place, and for a different conversation. 

The only other thing that saddened my heart was the understanding of spirituality by the producers. Charisma magazine and the Christian Post commented that Roma Downey had a degree in "Spiritual Psychology" at the University of Santa Monica.  At first glance, the title of such a degree would seem in line with Christian faith however, according the universities coarse description, this falls under the category of "new age" and discovering "one's higher consciousness."  Roma Downey has a history of being a devout Catholic. Are we letting a thread of "new age" beliefs, seep into the church?  She has even endorsed New Age authors and their books. In addition, she has commented in another article, that she lets her children listen to New Age teaching on CD.  I'm not pointing fingers. I'm just simply pointing out that the only "higher consciousness" that we need, is the presence of God, the Holy Spirit, to reveal all things to us in our lives.

I personally have always enjoyed Roma Downey's acting and her sweet personality. In "Touched by an Angel", her character and "Tess" were always an inspiration that turned my faith and heart toward God. They were good stories and even I have experienced God working through the angels at different times in my life. Attention should always be turned to God as the one who orchestrates such miracles in one's life, because we do not worship angels.   Neither do the angels desire it. That's the very things that got Lucifer in trouble! My concern about watching this movie, "Son of God", for any one with new found faith or young Believer, would only be that they might use the example of Roma's "new age" exploration, as a good walk in the Christian faith. We are all human and I know that is was their very best at telling the story, which by the way is I'm sure to be dear to Mark and Roma's heart. They have kept it unique and creative, even though it has been told so many times, but her New Age" influence is dangerous for her own faith and for those who watch and admire her.  

We should never mix the Bible with other "spiritual practices".  I pray that Roma Downey as well as her husband discovers Christ's higher ways for their lives in a personal way. I also pray that God will use this film to further is glory in the earth and through his people. God can use anything for his purpose! This film is certainly enjoyable, faith building and is full of scripture.